A Very Turbulent, but Exciting Trip!

In this article I will be writing about my experiences on two islands in the states of Bahia and Rio de Janeiro. For more in-depth articles with links to the pictures of my travels, please click the links in this article.

In the beginning of March, when I still was in Denmark, I didn’t fully understand I would be in Brazil within half a month. It is easy to dream yourself away to a life on the beach, bonfire in the night and perfect social conditions: the economy of Brazil grows and grows, but unfortunately you see Brazil from a polished surface. The experience I got with me from the university in Denmark has helped me with so many things – how to handle the culture chock and have the opportunity to understand my way around Brazil, because coming to Brazil from Denmark is to walk into a different world. 
I came to Brazil in March; half a month after the Carnival had taken place. And when coming to Brazil for the first time you’d expect something completely different for what you come from. And oh, did I experience some things!
Coming to a state like Bahia in the North East region of Brazil (they have 5: North, North East, Centrum, South and South East) that is very tough and has one of the highest rates of black population in Brazil, it is obvious that I stick out in Brazil as a caucasoid male with red hair and blue eyes! It has given me some difficulties, but I think coming to another world will always make you stick out from the groups.
Anyway, although it hasn’t happened just the way I wanted to, I’ve had some very good experiences in Brazil, and I surely will have some in the near future, before I return home to Denmark and the 5th. semester! I have travelled to an island called Ilha de Morro de São Paulo here in Bahia, but I have as well experienced an island in the state of Rio de Janeiro called Ilha Grande, and Rio itself. Both were time well spent! If you get the opportunity to visit them, do it!

Before I return home to Denmark in the end of August, I will go on a trip with the other exchange students here in Brazil, to Amazonas where the Brazilian Military will wait at us to show us around. After the trip I will finish my courses with exams in Fundamentos de Música and Música e Ritmos and I will, of course, graduate in both before I return home to safe, tiny Denmark. 

The view from the place I'm living at


Written by Marc Vincent Klitgaard, 4th semester

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Porto-trip

New challenges

Visit to the European Commission in Brussels